This is a great fridge cleaner-outer: a basic vegetable pasta sauce paired with some grilled vegetables. It’s spicy, vibrant and filling. It’s also super quick and easy to make with whatever vegetables you happen to have in the fridge. Feel free to substitute any vegetable here!
SPICY GRILLED VEGETABLE PENNE
Makes 4 serving
For the sauce
- 1 teaspoon of neutral oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons of chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon of ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of ground tumeric
- 2 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 box of chickpea penne pasta
- Vegetables of your choice for grilling (I used sliced Brussels Sprouts and Broccolini)
- Parsley, chopped (Optional)
Method (and a touch of madness)
- Boil salted water in a pot then add pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add all sauce ingredients except spices and stock. Stir until vegetables start to color.
- Add spices and stir. Add stock and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta.
- Heat grill pan (or regular pan, whatever…) over high heat, toss grilling vegetables in a little oil, salt and pepper then throw them on the pan. Turn after 3 minutes.Set finished vegetables aside.
- Once the vegetables in the sauce have softened, pour everything in a blender (or, better yet, use a stick blender) and blend until smooth.
- To assemble, ladle the sauce onto a plate, top with penne and grilled vegetables. Garnish with parsley and extra chili flakes.
Guide for the ‘arians:
- Flexitarian – good
- Pescetarian – good
- Omnivore – good
- Vegan – good
- Gluten free – good
- Lactose free – good
Ommmm nom nom nom.