OMG, I can eat this? aims to reconstruct your favorite No Go meals and turn them into delights you can chow down on without feeling terribly afterward.
In celebration of National Cheesecake Day, we are making Kalua Smoked Pig. Nah, jks. Of course, we’re making cheesecake!
This is a jive off of New York style Cheesecake with a lemon vanilla cake base and a nice thick cheese layer. This recipe uses Neufchatel cheese in place of cream cheese. This creamy cheese is made with milk instead of cream, making for a 20% reduction in calories mainly from fat. I’ve also added no sugar and used stevia and monkfruit instead to get a nice hint of sweet.
So, settle down in front of an episode of the Golden Girls and get cracking on one of these babies.
New York Cheesecake
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 mins
Makes 4 serves
For the base
- A double portion of my mug cake recipe
- Dash of lemon extract
- Dash of vanilla extract
For the cheesecake
- 1 x 8oz package of neufchatel or cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1.5 teaspoons of coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon of monkfruit powder
- 1 teaspoon of stevia
- Rind of half a lemon
- Dash of vanilla
- Dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon greek yoghurt
Method (and a touch of madness)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a ramekin, make the double portion of mug cake, adding a dash of lemon extract and vanilla extract. Nuke for 3.5 mins.
- Allow to cool, then slice into 4 thin rounds.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, add the neufchatel and mix by itself until it’s completely soft and gooey. Add the rest of the cheesecake ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Layer into 4 ramekins the cake slices then the cheesecake mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 mins, checking toward the end that the centers are not jiggling.
- Remove from oven, cool completely, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve with Greek yogurt and berries of your choice.
Guide for the ‘arians:
- Flexitarian – good
- Pescetarian – good
- Vegetarian – good
- Omnivore – good
- Vegan – not good. One day, I’ll try to figure out a good vegan recipe.
- Gluten free – good
- Lactose free – definitely not good. Just don’t do it.